Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Louisiana Fried Chicken, El Cerrito

No, THIS is the place where you are supposed to get fried chicken. The service isn't anything to write home about (don't expect anyone to multi-task or work fast or be very friendly), but the chicken has always been consistently great!

The fried chicken has a great, thick, crunchy skin that actually isn't greasy; the meat itself is always hot and juicy, even the breast meat. Plus, it's spicy. The first time that Andy and I ate their chicken, we weren't prepared enough. It's a really slow spice that gradually gets hotter and hotter, but we couldn't stop eating the food to be bothered to notice that our mouths were slowly beginning to burn. Andy eventually had to run to the store and get us lemonade while I continued to pick up and eat every single crumb of the leftover fried bits.

We have always gotten the food to go. Normally, I would say that fried chicken to go is a bad idea, but this chicken is so crunchy that it doesn't get soggy, even after it's been in the refrigerator for 2 days (not that it makes it that long without being eaten). When we've ordered a family pack for $15 (I swear not for just the two of us...), we've gotten 8 pieces of chicken, 4 rolls, and one large side, so the food is also very affordable.

My favorite side by far is the greens. They too are spicy, and have slices of pork thrown in to help flavor them. I haven't been impressed by any of the other sides. Andy and I have tried the dirty rice (too dry), the rolls (taste store bought), and the cole slaw (actually pretty good, because I like mine with light mayo and theirs has hardly any). But, my recommendation would be to make some mashed potatoes and rolls at home and then get everything else from Louisiana Fried Chicken. Go here it's so good.

This restaurant is a chain, but I can only speak for the El Cerrito Plaza location. They have a website: http://www.louisianachickenbayarea.com.

They are located at the El Cerrito Plaza, if you are facing Albertson's, it is on your right in the corner. Their phone number is (510) 524-9633.

I have no idea what their hours, are, but I think they close kind of early (around 8).
GO!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Sounds great. How does it compare to Chinatown's Garlic & Ginger flavored fried chicken?

ap

Anonymous said...

AP & Falcon tried the celebrated LFC. Very good chicken! Falcon usually doesn't like breast meat b/c it's too dry, but he definitely enjoyed his portion of the crispy and juicy LFC. Falcon gives LFC an enthusiastic 3 Paws Up. Unfortunately there wasn't any left to test how crunchy the chicken is on day two. The Greens were nothing short of ethereal--that side dish is a must purchase!

Flavorwise I think I still prefer the ginger & garlic Chinatown chicken, however "CTC" definitely has it's short-comings...they never seem to manage to pull off all the chicken feathers before they fry.

Service was prompt at the Oakland restaurant although the interior has as much charm as a high school cafeteria. "Take out" is the way to go.

Thanks for yummy the tip, Kara! AP

Anonymous said...

I'm going tomorrow!! I want some of this fried chicken.