Thursday, March 15, 2007

Bakesale Betty, Oakland

My mom always raves about this place's pies, but I never knew that they serve regular food, too! Paw Paw had cut out an article from the newspaper on Bakesale Betty the last time I was at her house, and it mentioned that they serve the best chicken pot pies and fried chicken sandwiches. I had to try it out.

As fate would have it, one of the girls I work with had to go pick up a friend who lived near Lake Merritt for lunch. So, we headed off to pick him up and they asked for a recommendation as to where to eat. Conveniently, her friend needed a ride to Berkeley, and Bakesale Betty was on the way there.

The place itself would be very hard to find if it weren't for the huge line of people outside during lunch time. Even the firefighters from next door were lined up, so we knew it must be good. There isn't even a sign on the door, and there is no menu--the only reason we knew we found the right place was that there was a piece of butcher paper taped to the wall that said "Fried Chicken Sandwich...Chicken Pot Pie...Egg Salad Sandwich."

Being the amateur food critic I am, I allowed everyone to get the same thing (a fried chicken sandwich) and didn't try anything else. A gigantic sandwich (packed with 3 huge pieces of fried chicken) and a water bottle cost $8.00. Sounds expensive, but I was full after only half of my sandwich, so split two ways, it is only a $4.00 lunch.

The sandwiches are made on soft, fresh rolls, piled high with a cabbage, fresh jalapeno, and vinegar slaw, along with three pieces of juicy, crispy, slightly spicy fried chicken. Leilani had a little bit of trouble with the jalapenos, but since they were fresh I didn't think that the spiciness was overpowering. In fact, it was just about perfect. My biggest problem was that the seating provided by Bakesale Betty is limited to stools and milk crates, so I had cabbage pieces and napkins flying everywhere.

Despite the huge line that consistently stood outside the cafe, the turnover is fast. We stood in line for about two minutes before we were helped, and the employees were very efficient. They even take credit cards!

Lunch was delicious (everyone complimented me on my recommendation even though I'd never eaten there before). I didn't get hungry until about 5:30 that evening, and the chicken was still crispy then, which is one of my tests for fried things. Still crispy and still delicious. I highly recommend trying their sandwiches! I promise next entry will not be something fried (I hope).

Bakesale Betty is located right on the corner of 51st and Telegraph. Parking may look daunting but actually isn't bad at all if you go around the corner.

5098 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, CA
(510) 985-1213

They are open Tuesday through Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you agreed about the fried chicken san. I understand that their other meat sandwiches are equally good.

Remember Paw-paw's bbq ribs with hoisin? Village Market's new deli has it...pretty yummy without all of the work.

m

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add a restaurant recommendation of my own--We just tried a restaurant across the street from Bakesale Betty--Tanjia, a Moroccan restaurant. IT WAS GREAT! For $22 per person, you get a huge bowl of spicy lentil soup (usually I'm kind of meah about lentil soup, but this was subtly addictive and, before I knew it, I had downed the whole thing) and a moroccan salad with marinated cauliflower, carrots and cucumber with a spicy eggplant dip that we scooped up with hot bread.

Then comes an excellent bastilla, a chicken pie in phyllo dough sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Sounds odd, but it's the reason I go to Moroccan restaurants, and this one didn't disappoint. K, who usually doesn't like sweet meat dishes was licking the plate clean.

Then you have your choice of entrees. We picked three--lamb brochette over couscous with vegetables (some of the best couscous I've ever had), chicken in honey and prunes, and lamb and onion tagine. Dessert is fried bananas and mint tea. Needless to say, I skipped the mint tea. Everything was finger-licking good (literally--you eat everything with your fingers and are given a big towel to keep on your lap to protect your clothes and wipe your hands).

After the meal, they bring a basin and a pitcher of warm water for your to wash your hands. Then they sprinkle rosewater on your hands (whereupon K promptly had a sneezing fit, so consider carefully whether to partake).

And then comes the bell-llly dancer! She dances with a great sense of humor that makes the performance a lot of fun. Uncle J joined in (at the dancer's request, of course) and had a wonderful time.

Tanjia is a great place to get good food and entertainment with close friends (everything is served communally and eaten with hands, so this is not for hygiene freaks, esp. if you eat bastilla with K).

AC

Anonymous said...

Regarding Tanjia....

A Five Course Authentic Moroccan meal.....$22

Allergy medication to deal with rose water sprinkles.....$7.99

Uncle J bellydancing...PRICELESS!!!

AP

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, hahahahaha. Good one, AP.

Anonymous said...

WOAH! I just tried their fried chicken sandwich--now that was gooooood! Love the jalapenos. I ate the whole dang thing in one sitting and looked at my calendar to see when I could go back. I also got their lemon raisen scone for breakfast---yummy, yummy, yummy and not dry like the desert which is the way most scones are. Too bad that sandwich has over 1000 calories---GAH!

AP