Saturday, July 21, 2007

Chow, San Francisco

For those of you who don't know the reason I was so MIA last week, it was because I was attending an HIV Counselor Training Course in San Francisco. Not knowing the area, I was at the mercy of my training group during lunch when it came to finding a good restaurant. Fortunately, most of them knew the area pretty well and suggested that we eat at Chow.

Chow has a pretty eclectic menu that includes linguini with pesto, fennel and sausage pizza, hamburgers, salads, and ribs. My eyes, as well as three others' were immediately drawn to the daily sandwich: Crispy Soft Shell Crab. For only $9.95, I got an entire soft shell crab, battered in cornmeal, fried, and put on a buttered roll. Not exactly the healthiest lunch, but it was delicious.

The sandwich was garnished with tomato, lettuce, avocado, and lemon-herb mayo. I was given a choice of fries, salad, or soup. Supposedly the fries are amazing, but since I was at a health-related function, I optioned for a side salad.

My sandwich was very tasty, but I would probably get it without the avocado and mayo next time. The roll is heavily buttered, and in addition to the mayo, it takes too much away from the soft shell crab. However, overall it was a very tasty and affordable sandwich.

In addition to the food, the atmosphere is really laid back and the servers are friendly. If you are ever in the Castro, I'd definitely recommend this place as a fun, affordable, and good place to eat!

Chow is located at 215 Church Street at Market.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since you are back to po' student mode....If you want a SUPER CHEAP & SUPER good sandwich--go to the Saigon Sandwich Shop on 560 Larkin Street (Cross street is Eddy). Sandwiches range from $2.25-$2.75. The most popular sandwich is the roast pork ($2.50?). They do have chicken and I think tofu options. It's warm, thinly sliced pork topped with mildly pickled carrots, lettuce, hot peppers and cilantro served in a warm hero sandwich loaf. Out the Door sells essentially the same sandwich for $8.00. You will know you arrived when you see the line out the door. There are other Saigon Sandwich "look alikes" on Larkin, but they aren't as good (i.e. bread is dry, too many hot peppers)--make sure that you settle for nothing less than the Saigon Sandwich shop. The only downside is that it's take-out only, so if you don't have a place to go, you can sit around near the courthouse or the park in Civic Center on a nice sunny day and enjoy your sandwich.