Saturday, January 10, 2009

Yume, Alameda

If you are the type who enjoys ordering California Rolls, etc., please read no further and go down the street to Sushi House.

When I was in Japan, my dad's buddy took me out to eat at every fancy pantsy foodie place in Tokyo that we could fit into our schedule. This whirlwind tour included trips for teppanyaki, yakitori, soba with eel tempura, and of course sushi. Since that trip, I'd been unable to eat octopus or eel in the US because I learned in Japan what it's really supposed to taste like.

At Yume, it tastes like my vacation. The unagi truly melts in your mouth and doesn't have the sticky gross consistency of that stuff from the bottle that they use at even the high-end restaurants around here.

My friend Nnekay is right, though, Yume is a terrifying place to eat. But, I've found that it's not too bad if you just accept that you're joining a cult and follow the rules. It's worth it.

A few tips:
-Arrive early, with no more than one other person in tow
-Allow him to order for you; you won't regret it!
-Make sure you're facing his wife when you speak to her, and speak clearly (she's hearing impaired, not rude)
-Don't use soy sauce...The fish is so fresh that it should be eaten unadulterated.

And if anyone knows of a place where you can get REAL soba I will gladly trade that information for my soul.

Yume is located at 1428 Park Street in Alameda (above Three Wishes gift shop).

No comments: