Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Biryani House, Berkeley

This is hands-down my favorite Indian/Pakistani restaurant in the area. Not only is the food very cheap ($6 entrees) and filling, but it's flavorful and delicious. I had walked by this restaurant a bunch on my way to MCAT class and one day finally ventured in when I grew sick of eating sandwiches.

I was not disappointed. Biryani House is cheaper than House of Curries, and my Chicken Vindaloo was much more tender (cooked on the bone) and flavorful yet spicy rather than simply spicy. I noticed that the sauces at Biryani House also lack that kind of fake neon-yellow hue that some of the dishes at House of Curry contain, which led me to believe that the food's healthier and maybe (?) more authentic. Who knows though, I still don't know a thing about Indian food except what I think tastes good. And this certainly does.

On subsequent visits, I have tried the eggplant curry, Tikka Masala (for those of us with inauthentic palates), the samosas and the Tandoori Chicken. My tandoori chicken was so flavorful and tender. The eggplant curry was also spicy and delicious, and the naan is really fluffy yet chewy. Despite the soundtrack skipping/playing the exact same song over and over again, I started studying at Biryani House just so I could eat the food more often.

Biryani House is located at 2011 Shattuck Avenue at University in Berkeley.
They are open daily from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and until 10:30 Friday through Sunday.

5 comments:

Amanda, San Francisco Photographer said...

Thanks for your East Bay Indian suggestions! I appreciate them. Do you have anywhere that is a favorite in SF ? I'm always on the hunt for good places.

Kara said...

Thanks, Amanda! Unfortunately no, I haven't been out in SF too much but would love to hear of anything you know of.

Joyti said...

It sounds like an interesting place, and the price sounds tempting. "Indian food" in restaurants is always inauthentic I think (I'm of Indian descent)...so I never consider authenticity when looking for a place. Taste

Kara said...

Please let me know if you end up eating there, I'd be curious as to what you think. I don't even attempt to find authentic Indian food so I've just been going off what I think tastes great.

Graham Patterson said...

Hello,

My name is Graham Patterson and I write the Sweeeeet Oakland blog (http://sweeeeetoakland.blogspot.com/). I just put together a personalized Google Map of happy hours and bottomless brunches in Oakland, and I thought you might be interested in sharing it. I link to it on my site of course, but you can also go there directly here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111226194236012643644.0004755a43a746765e7e5&z=12

Thanks! I really enjoy your blog and hope you start writing more again!!