Monday, March 02, 2009

Get it together, Michael Bauer!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=26&entry_id=36319

For those of you who didn't receive or read my overly enthusiastic email, my letter to Michael Bauer made it into the Chronicle the other day!

I'm currently on a search for authentic Japanese noodles. I want real ramen in a murky, white pork broth that's been simmered for days, served with chili oil, bamboo shoots and pork. I want fresh cold soba and cold udon served with hot, salty, concentrated broth to dip the noodles into.

I don't want the bland, dry pork tenderloin that's served over the non-house-made noodles from O Chame that come in a fusiony yet bland seafood broth. I want real Japanese comfort food.

When I first dissed O Chame some angry peruser wrote that I just have no taste in food and want something laced with MSG. I deleted it because like so many things in the world, this blog is NOT a democracy and I only post the comments I like. That said, I'll address their issue. Sure, I've been known to love many terrible restaurants that probably allow their meat to swim in MSG. But, I also know what good, flavorful, authentic broth can taste like without it. I want authentic Japanese noodle soup. O Chame doesn't cut it. While they do have some good qualities to their food, M. Bauer needs to stop referring to them as a noodle house.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the places that these readers suggested. Anyone out there aside from my family reading this? Got anything to weigh in on? I miiiiiiiight just publish your response.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take that MB. You are the best reviewer out there!!!