Friday, October 20, 2006

Just for Fun

I've been looking all over for a place with good sides AND bbq, which no one seems to think exists. I was excited when I saw that a place called Looney's SmokeHouse BBQ opened up on Oxford at Bancroft. It looked like it might be a fun place, but I was skeptical after seeing a huge line after they first opened, and then walking by a week later to see the place empty. After checking out my faithful review site, www.yelp.com, I don't think I'll be going, but some of the posts were too funny not to pass on:

"I was expecting good BBQ. Granted the meat they served was cooked correctly, but it came covered in this awful, chunky, spicy salsa kinda of stuff. I was dumbfounded. I was pissed. I eventually took it home, rinsed it and added KC masterpiece, much better."

"So, I just back to my apt as fast as I can post this warning to prevent any of you from going there. This is by far the nastiest, driest, bland-tasting ribs I have EVER eaten."

"I had a brisket sandwich there a few weeks ago. It had fairly large chunks of fat on it, and was pretty tough. The cole slaw looked like kimchi. None of my co-workers enjoyed their food, either. Oh, and there were flies all over the place.
The server was pretty confused, and couldn't be found when we wanted our check.
I'm never going back there."

"I give them 1/2 point for the good mac & cheese & the crowd of people working at this joint & the big TV screen. I would have given them 5 stars for the beers on tap and if they didn't serve food fired all the employees."

So I guess we shouldn't be eating at Looney's...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right, this place carries the worst food you can imagine. Spread the word, this place is really just insulting to the berkeley food scene. The only reason it is open is because the rich ass owner (yes his name is looney - and it describes him perfectly) keep subsidizing it. Make no mistake a place like this is loosing money. I almost want to come in again to have him torture us with his ridiculous stories.