Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Kirala, Berkeley

Kirala is by far my favorite Japanese restaurant, so it's about time that I write a review for it. I went with my friend Nnekay yesterday (Tuesday) around 5:20 p.m. We got a table as soon as we walked in, which is very rare. As soon as the clock hit 5:45, though, the place was packed and there was the usual line out the door. So, my new recommendation is to go on a Tuesday (according to my idol Anthony Bourdain this is also a good day to get fresh fish) and before 5:45, when the crowd comes.

We started off with some unagi and amaebi. Unagi is always one of my favorites, I'm thinking about ordering it for Andy the next time we go out and just not telling him what it is until after. Besides, I think he'll like it: the flavor is always good, so is the texture (tender on the inside and the outside has a nice crunch), and I highly doubt he has the suspicion that I'll try and trick him into eating barbecued eel. As always, it was beautifully presented and fresh fresh fresh.

One of my new favorites (thank you Margaret) is the amaebi. They give you two nigiri pieces with the raw body of the shrimp, and then they give you the heads deep fried with a lemon wedge. Nnekay was a little too weirded out by the shrimp heads--she said that if I really thought she was missing out on something that she'd try it out, but to be honest I just wanted to eat both of them so I said it was a cultural thing that I'm not weirded out by the head. To my mom's side of the family--best thing ever, you have to try one or you will be missing out!

We also ordered from the Robata grill. I don't know too much about the Robata grill--just that it has special Japanese coals which give the food a special flavor. You can get good sushi at quite a few places in the Bay, but the Robata grill here is to die for. We ordered two of my favorites; the scallops and the squid (you can order either a small part of the squid or you can order the entire body). Both come with a special sauce on top, a lemon wedge and a bit of tobiko. The scallops are always cooked perfectly (not overdone or rubbery) and go really well with the sauce. Even Andy thought they were tasty when we went. That really says something. I also love how the squid is a bit charred on the edges, so the squid has a very crunchy texture.

So, sadly, this was all that we ordered this round at Kirala. Probably the cheapest meal I've ever had there. Between both of us not being that hungry and Nnekay having to get to class, we definitely didn't get to sample all of my favorites, but this is in no part because of the food.

I'll do another review, but just off the top of my head, my other favorites at Kirala include: baby lobster tail off of the robata grill, the caterpillar roll (soft shell crab, tobiko, unagi...mmmm), agedashi tofu, seaweed salad, and the tuna nigiri. I also have some recommendations--if you arrive when the line is out the door, make sure to sign up to go to either the bar OR a table. While the table isn't as fun, you will be seated much faster. However, please note that if you are going to order a dinner, such as a meat and rice dish, you cannot sit at the bar (we learned this the hard way with Andy). Also, if you are sitting at the bar, make sure to order Robata grill dishes from the waitress, not the sushi chef. They get annoyed, and who wants an angry sushi chef? I also recommend ordering in stages. I like to sit and talk a lot because the atmosphere at Kirala is quite nice, and since the food is pricey (but completely worth it, in my opinion), it's nice to digest a bit and then order more when needed.

Check out their website: www.kiralaberkeley.com

Kirala is open for lunch Tuesdays through Fridays from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
They are open for dinner Monday through Saturdays from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and Sundays 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Kirala is located at 2100 Ward Street in Berkeley, CA 94705.
Phone: (510) 549-3486

Please note that they do NOT take reservations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also try their Almond encrusted shrimp tempura. They are super!

Just for the heck of it, you might want to compare Kirala to Angelfish--the Japanese Restaurant in the Bay Farm Island shopping center. The sushi chef at Angelfish came from Kirala. He grills too. His menu is more limited and doesn't have the same cool factor as Kirala, but it might be a bit less expensive.

Shhhh....keep the delectable fried shrimp heads a secret! We don't ever want a shortage of fried shrimp heads.

nnekay said...

you jerk! I knew i should have tried the shrimp head!Anyway, I had a fun time-