Friday, October 13, 2006

Picante, Berkeley (Round Two)

Ok everyone said I had to give Picante another try. Heather and I just went together, and overall, it was much better than before, but I'm still not overly impressed.

We both ordered the tortilla soup and split the ceviche. I'll start with the ceviche. It had fish and shrimp, which were very fresh, in a sweet tomato sauce with a slice of avocado on top. Everything was good, I just don't like sweet ceviche. I can't say that in general, this is actually the first time I've had sweet ceviche, but I liked the spicy/tangy ones I've had a lot better; Heather agreed with me. The ceviche was served with their homemade, thick and salty corn chips, though, which were really good.

The tortilla soup was good, it had chicken and tortilla chips in it with a hint of some cheese. They also give you some diced onions and cilantro on the side to add. The only thing I would have added would have been a bit more spice and some lime. Overall though it was very satisfying, and Picante gives you a lot. However, both the tortilla soup and the ceviche ended up costing me $16! I'm really agreeing with AP (see comments on Picante entry number one); I need to go to International Boulevard and get me some cheap, good eats. Though I will comment, they use primo fresh produce and yes, they do have cured Neiman Ranch beef, so with some dishes it's hard to argue with the price. I just feel like with Mexican food, you can get something way better at a much lower price by going somewhere that to me at least seems more authentic.

I'm going to go one more time like the true food critic (I heard Michael Bauer goes at least 3 times) I'm trying to be--plus my mom had some recommendations too. If on Monday when I go with Catherine I'm still not sold, I'm calling it quits with Picante. I might be taking a higher risk of getting some sort of food poisoning but I have no problem with going to La Burrita or some random taco truck for a cheap but oh so tasty wet burrito. Anyone have a recommendation for International Boulevard restaurants? Please leave a comment and let me know!

3 comments:

Cath said...

Ok, we are on for Monday, but if you are serious about Taco wagons, my husband is the source and expert on those.....and believe me I have been dragged to my share of them.

Anonymous said...

In the past 20 years, has Picante changed hands? I remember fantastic chile verde and chili colorado plate that warmed your innards and left you very full. We went to Picante a few years ago and were disappointed to see that these two dishes were not on the menu.

20 years ago, friends returning to town for a visit always made Picante their first stop. That's a powerful recommendation.

Regarding Taco trucks, your dad went on a tour with the Chronicle food writer and Ken S. Ken was the guide for the Chronicle...a great source.

Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous!! The chile colorado used to be the best and it was extremely spicy. Carolyn Ness of the Chronicle food writing staff and Ken Stutz are a great source for International Blvd., and Stutz knows those taco trucks better than anyone.
Jefe